Here in the United States, Mother’s Day has been a recognized observance for just over 100 years – it was established in 1914 after Anna Jarvis had campaigned for six years to have it placed on the calendar. But certainly Ms. Jarvis was not the first person to recognize the importance of our family matriarchs – the earliest civilizations left us art, legends, and traditions that represent the love of mothers through the years. Although some feel that in recent decades the holiday has become more commercial than sentimental, the overall emotions that the day represents are timeless – we love our Moms, and we love to show them how much.
Having flowers delivered is a traditional way to celebrate Mother’s Day; but this May 8th, consider sending a bouquet that has deep meaning inherent in the flowers themselves. Using the language of flowers to send messages has been a time-honored custom in many cultures, although it has been largely lost here in America. To help you send your mother, grandmother or mother-in-law a floral arrangement that “speaks”, we are happy to provide a short Mother’s Day guide. Use these flowers to design a personalized bouquet that is as heartfelt as it is gorgeous.
- Pink roses are the unofficial ambassadors of Mother’s Day and represent appreciation and gratitude.
- Pink calla lilies also express gratitude; combine with roses for a bouquet that overflows with thankfulness for who she is.
- Pink tulips represent happiness and joy; while pink lilies embody a wish for good fortune and prosperity.
- Gerbera daisies are emblematic of cheerfulness, and iris flowers stand for the great wisdom Mom has always shown.
- Orchids reflect the elegance and beauty she carries with her.
Be sure to browse our collection of gifts for Mom as well, to accompany the floral bouquet. Candles, ornamental décor and more can be sent as a lasting reminder of your love for her. Of course, we know that Moms rarely want anything more than love from us; but at Rose Hill Flowers, we allow you to express that love in beautiful ways.