There is no doubt that the relationship between grandparent and grandchild is a special and unique bond. It is truly amazing to watch these two people, separated by a generation, magically come together in a mutual understanding and affection that seems completely effortless.
Once upon a time in America’s history, it was common to see multiple generations living together under the same roof. As that custom began to fade, we saw extended families begin to have separate residences. In 1978, a mother and grandmother named Marian McQuade successfully petitioned Congress to institute Grandparents Day, a time set aside for the generations to once again come together – to share stores, and preserve the history and legacy of the family. Of course, it is also a great opportunity to shower your grandparents with love and affection, with beautiful Grandparents Day bouquets from Rose Hill Flowers.
“What a bargain grandchildren are! I give them my loose change, and they give me a million dollars’ worth of pleasure”. ~Gene Perret
Here are a few fast trivia facts about grandparents that you may find interesting:
* 75% of grandparents consider the role they play in the family to be the most important and meaningful thing they have ever experienced.
* 90% of grandparents admit to talking about their grandchildren every single day.
* 37% of households in the United States are headed by a grandparent.
* 7% of children are being raised solely by a grandparent.
* The average age of a first time grandparent is 48 years old, a fact which shatters the gray-haired stereotype.
* Grandparents spend approximately $52 billion dollars per year on gifts for their grandchildren.
If you have grandparents that hold a special place in your heart, September 10 is the day to celebrate them. If they live in Nashville, go pick them up and make a day of it- but don’t forget the flowers! Beautiful Grandparents Day bouquets from Rose Hill Flowers are the perfect way to convey your love and admiration.